By resolution of the Central Committee of the CPSU and the USSR Council of Ministers inthe Semipalatinsk region in 1947 was created the polygon, where the period of 1949-1989 were tested nuclear weapons.
As a result of these tests, the settlements adjacent to the area of the polygon, for many years have been affected by radioactive contamination. To control the radiation-hygienic situation and to estimate the health of the population, in March 1957 in Semipalatinsk was opened specialized confidential medical institution - Dispensary №4 of MoH of the USSR. In 1967 it was renamed in “Antibrucellar Dispensary” № 4 of MoH of the USSR. In 1989 was renamed in Radiological clinic of MoH of the USSR.
Clinic was operating as classified “Top Secret”. There were forbidden any contact with the Military Departments, presiding activity of STS. After the disintegration of the USSR, by the Decree of President N.A. Nazarbayev № 409 in 29.08.1991 was closed the Semipalatinsk nuclear test site. In August 1991, on the basis of the clinic, there was created the Institute of Radiation Medicine and Ecology of the MoH of the Kazakh SSR. On the basis of the Resolution of the Government of the RK № 1335 of 25.12.1998 Institute of Radiation Medicine and Ecology MoH of the RK was reorganized into the RSBSE “Scientific-Research Institute for Radiation Medicine and Ecology”. read more..